Old 12-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:54:54 +0000 (UTC), "Lol"
wrote:

I was wandering around my local LIDLs supermarket yesterday, just topping up
a few essentials (Rioja, Chenin Blanc, Stilton (don't tell my cardiologist)
etc) - when I stumbled across a counter full of herb plants - Basil, Persil
and my fav Coriander.

In typical cavalier spirit - sparing no expense (59p mind) I grabbed a pot
of Coriander and placed it in my basket - I also grabbed a pack of something
called Rocket, which I have heard of but never (knowingly) tasted - to these
I added a Cos, some onions (red and spring) peppers etc - it is a long time
since I treated Alice - and I thought - what a nice surprise - but I digress

I have selected a nice big earthenware pot and intend planting the Coriander
in some Multi-purpose compost, and will place it in a suitable corner of the
deck. Should I select a shady corner, or will sun be better ? I imagine
something so succulent will like lots of water ?

I've had Coriander grow on quite well when shoved in the middle of a
dense flower bed in full sun. The surrounding plants give it support,
and the ground cover keeps the earth moist as the plant finds its way
up into the sun.
I can't actually stand Coriander as leaf herb, I grew it for the seeds
which I find more useful in the kitchen.

Quick recipe:
Quantity of new spuds, quantity of leeks.
Slice spuds in half, slice leeks up into rings. Place in warmed dish
sufficiently large to allow veg to sit in one layer.
Drizzle with good olive oil, chuck in a knob of butter.
Crush tablespoon of black peppercorns, ditto coriander seeds, sprinkle
over veg and toss lightly. Sprinkle veg with sea salt. Cover with foil
and pop in moderate oven for 30-40 mins. Remove foil for last 15
minutes if you like your leeks with a bit of brown.

I do recall doing something similar a long time ago - but it all went to
seed :-( - am I wasting my time - it is not about saving 59p - it is about
eating something I have grown myself.

If saving money were the issue I would grow Rocket - at 99p a bag (leaves
not plant) that is a nice little earner. Can this be done ?

Easy enough to grow, but Flea Beetle will scoff the lot of you're not
careful. Could be worth growing under fleece.

Nasturtiums and Land Cress produce interesting leaves to spice up a
salad bowl too.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk