Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Charles

On 12 Aug 2005 10:11:45 -0700, wrote:

Charles wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:29:46 -0400, vincent p. norris
wrote:

I have read that some grasses (perhaps not our typical lawn grasses)
send roots down many feet into the earth.

Can anyone confirm or refute that or refer me to a source of info
about it?

Thanks. vince norris

Bermuda grass, 40 ft.

Saint Augustine grass, 80 ft.

Reference? the back of my mind, something I read somewhere and it
stuck.

Wow! Are you sure you didn't mean inches?

Nope, feet. If it had been inches I would have thought nothing of it
and forgot it. Again it is just something I picked up along the way
and would not attest to any accuracy beyond saying that it is the way
I remember it.

Doing a quick Yahoo search,
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/bermuda_grass.htm says "...in drought
situations the root system can grow 47 to 59 inches (120-150 cm) deep.
Most of the root mass lies 24 inches (60 cm) under the surface" about
Bermuda grass.

Also, according to http://floridaturf.com/bahia/, Bahiagrass roots go 8
feet deep.

HTH,