Old 13-08-2005, 02:09 AM
FDR

wrote in message
oups.com...
I do one application of pre-emergent plus fertilizer in late april here
in central nj and that works fine. Might have a couple crabgrass
plants that still show up, but that's about it. In the back, I don't
even use a pre-emegent, it's mostly shade, which crabgrass doesn't
like. I think a key here is getting a thick lawn to begin with, which
helps block out any weeds. I apply fertilizer again in sept, then late
oct with a winterizer type. That's it until the late April
application.

You should also get your soil tested and adjust the PH now, before
overseeding. The local county extension agent will test samples for
about $10 or you can buy a test kit at garden centers.

I was going to recommend that too. Get the soil tested.

http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/