Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Pedro

I currently use liquid CO2. My plants have shown growth. It is only the
algae bothering me. I will try changing the bulb. Do you recommend liquid
CO2 everyday?

Thanks
"Elaine T" wrote in message
t...
Logic316 wrote:
Elaine T wrote:

Huh? Blue promotes algae, not red.

"Too much red light in combination with high nutrients will stimulate
algae growth"
http://www.algone.com/aquarium_lighting.htm

"Green hair algae thrive on more-red spectrum lighting"
http://www.syngnathid.org/articles/greenHairAlgae.html

I guess some species of algae like the blue spectrum, some like red :-/

Yes, but your articles refer to marine algae. Marine lighting is very
different because of the way the ocean filters longer wavelengths out of
light. People have posted here that actinics and sometimes 10,000K
lighting over FW promote algae growth.

Have you looked at how much red and how little blue is in the spectrum of
a 5500K bulb? 5500K and 6700K were not chosen arbitrarily. Those are the
color temperatures at tropical streams where algae-free FW plants have
been collected.

http://www.thatfishshop.com/equipment/lighting.htm is a nice little
article.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Tech/lighting.html has some info on it as
well from old work at Phillips and by Dennerle.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__