Old 13-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Ray

Joanna,

If Rob's rule-of-thumb says you can get by with two, there's nothing that
says four won't work! As a matter of fact, if you go with four you'll be
much happier in the long run, and you'll be able to grow somewhat
higher-light plants there as well.

By the way, congratulations on the future son. When do we all get to
celebrate (that coincides with when you and your husband stop sleeping)?

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Thank you Rob!

I have a follow-up question:

Most of my orchids are Phals and Paphs, but I do have a couple of
mini-catts. I was thinking of mounting the lights in such a way that they
would be about 20" or so above the plants' leaves to leave room for most
of
the spikes (though some of them are taller than that, and those I would
need
to place elsewhere). Would a 20" distance from the light tubes be enough
for
the mini-catts?

Since the window niche is 14 inches deep, according to your rule, two 4'
tubes would be enough? I saw fixtures that held 4 tubes in a similar
space -- would it be ok to buy 4 tubes, or would that result in too much
light and/or too much heat? Would the Phals and Paphs be ok with a higher
light level if I decide to go with more than 2 tubes?

Thanks for the advice. And LOL in response to the following exchange. By
the
way, I noticed that you changed my "he" to a "she", however I know already
that I am having a boy -- unless the ultrasounds are incorrect of course.
Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message
Rob wrote:
That is dangerous. And congratulations! From my experience, toddlers
start getting into orchids when they are about a year old. *grin*
Keep

Or, she could just keep the orchids up high and leave the toddler on the
ground.