Old 13-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Kay

In article , Blair
writes
I have a very vigorous bush type rose used as a screen or hedge which I
would like to propagate in another part of my garden. It grows suckers all
the time but when I detached some and planted them they didn't take. Should
I take cuttings instead and at what time of year?

Yes, for two reasons

1) it's easier to get cutting to take when the wood ha hardened off a
bit

2) Many roses are grafted on to a rootstock which is some species of
wild rose. Most suckers are from the rootstock. So if you propagate from
those, you will get the wild species rather than the bush rose you are
after.

Though if this is a hedge, it may well be Rosa rugosa (with rather dull
coloured crinkly leaves, not shiny smooth leaves) and the suckers will
almost certainly be R rugosa. I find I get seedlings all over the place
- if you get the same, yu could try growing on some of those.
--
Kay