Old 13-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "jw 1111" contains these words:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport. so
far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do not
hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs, which
makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Large woven plastic sacks with HD webbing handles..preferably, long
handles so that you can carry them from one shoulder, much less strain
for your arms (and back). They are featherlight but very strong and
rot-proof. I have a couple of old ones I use in the garden which came
from some garden centre long ago; and one I use for storing the dirty
laundry which came from a domestic-supplies shop run by Indians. It cost
50 p :-) I also have a broad webbing sling which can be slipped through
small handles, to make a shoulder carry-strap (Or tied round big bundles
of foliage. etc to carry from the shoulder..a very useful garden asset).

I find that sort of awkward, repetitive job is easiest to tackle if
you just spend a couple of minutes at it every day until it's done. . If
you're very busy or feeling tired, just load up the bag for moving
later. It's surprising how much you can do without exhausting yourself
or doing yourself an injury, just by breaking down a big job into tiny
contributory parts.

Janet.