Old 13-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Sue

How big is your garden and its location? (e.g. Northern Scotland) Is it
a lawn? How many trees are you going to plant and how close will they
be to each other or the house? Do you have any preferences regarding
colour, flowers, berries, autumn colouring, conifers or any other
consideration.

Also it would be very useful to know how open you are to the elements
because the leaves of some trees will get scorched by direct afternoon
sun and cold winds.

Thanks for this, told you I'm a novice. Garden is in Billericay, Essex. It's
about 110 feet long by 50 feet wide and the trees will be in the lower half
of the garden (it slopes away from the house). The trees will be in full sun
and it can be a little bit windy there at times. The trees will be planted
in the centre of the garden in a row so that when you look from the house
they are one behind the other. I want to plant a shrub (suggestions welcome)
between each of the trees.

Although this sounds a bit odd I'm doing it because the left hand side of
the back half of the garden is grass and the right hand side is stones.
There is an overgrown bed between the two halves at present, I want to turf
this and have the trees / shrubs growing through the grass to make it easier
to manage and to provide a bit of screening.

I'm probably looking for a maximum of 4 trees and I'd like them to be
decorative, preferably not fruit trees, and, as I said, trees that I can
keep small.

I thought of a winter flowering cherry as that will brighten the garden in
winter.

Thanks again, and thanks to the other people who replied.

Sue