Old 14-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Treedweller

On 11 Aug 2005 18:06:33 -0700, wrote:

Hi there,

I am planning to plant some tress in my backyard. I'm worried though
about eventual damage by roots growing into my house's foundation (we
do have a basement).

Specifically, I'm considering planting a Japanese maple. I'm thinking
of planting this 20 to 25 feet away from the house. Is this sufficient?

I would like to keep an open mind about other trees. Are there
particular species I should be worried about in terms of their roots
damaging my house's foundation?? (eg. Oak, Maple, etc.)? I can plant as
far away as 60 feet away from the house.

Thanks so much for the help!

Municipal studies have found just as much sidewalk damage where no
trees were present as where they were. If your concrete is poured and
reinforced properly and your soil is stable, tree roots should not be
a problem.
(ducking to avoid the flames from the "common sense/my daddy did it
that way school).
Keith