Old 04-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Self-fertile plants

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , Hussein M.
writes

With the only monoecious plant I have any experience of (ie female
plants with exclusively female flowers and male plants with
exclusively male flowers), the female plant under conditions of stress
may produce a sprinkling of male flowers so the plant has the
potential to turn hermaphrodite.

s/monoecious/dioecious/

monoecious is both sexes on ONE plant (but separate male and female
flowers)

dioecious is one sex on each of TWO plants.

And then you get delights like whether monoecious plants are self
fertile or even apomictic - and, no, I have NO idea how the last
works! It is what most blackberries are, where pollination is
necessary only to trigger the development of the seed and does not
contribute genetic material.

Kinky.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679