Old 04-12-2002, 08:13 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Cleaning fleece

"MC Emily" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote

I'll ask him for more
details and let you know.

That would be kind. But in my experience they're very close - they say, "Oh,
you just use alum (or whatever)" but don't say how much or how or for how
long ... :-(

I do know the charge is £17 each, which I thought
was very good. Have you salted yours already?

Oh yes. I know about immediate salting.

The best thing to do is salt
them straight away and then you can store them for as long as you like in

an
airtight bag, until you're ready to have them done.

They don't even need to be in an airtight bag, in my experience.

Mind you, I think they
can still 'bring them back' even if they've gone stiff. I'll get back to
you when I know more.

The goat and sheepskins I have did go like cardboard but are gradually
getting softer. I've tried using tallow but it doesn't work, I've tried
neats foot oil but that doesn't work either.

I'd like to know more.

We're down to one hen again :-(

Mary