Old 14-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Kay

In article MPG.1d68a247f6fad9809896a8@dalai, Warwick
writes
In article . com,
says...
Hi,

We've a couple of plants growing at the end of our garden and aren't
sure what they are (they're quite tall).

I've uploaded a pic of its leaves and berries at the following;
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dotsy....db.jpg&.src=ph

If anyone has a chance could they have a quick look and let us know
what they think it is (and if we should be nervous about the berries
being eaten by our toddler...)

That looks a *lot* like deadly nightshade.

The leaves do, but deadly nightshade has round black berries held
singly, with an obvious calyx around.
This is woody nightshade, bittersweet, Solanum dulcamara as others have
already said.

Failing to get further confirmation from someone official would be
*wrong*. Digging it out before the berries drop and burning it would be
a terrible thing to do in a garden with a toddler around.

I can remember when very small (though not toddler-small) going down
with measles or some such, and my mother hastily removing the vase of
woody nightshade I'd placed by me bedside in case the doctor got the
wrong idea ;-)
--
Kay