Old 14-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Emrys Davies

"Sue" wrote in message
.. .

"Lol" wrote in message

"lynette" wrote
-snip-

There's a beautiful Rowan called Joseph Rock looks good in all
seasons.Also Amelanchier, which has lovely white blossom in Spring
followed by black berries and leaves turn scarlet in autumn.Should

be
grown a lot more and is quite small.
Happy gardening
Lynette

A word of caution - I have a large Rowan in the front garden, around

18ft
tall, currently full of beautiful orange berries, but this causes

THREE
problems.

1) The tree is too close to the drive - so everyone who visits ends

up
with
crushed orange berries stuck to the soles of their shoes - which
subsequntly
end up trailed through the house.

2) They are great for the birds - Blackbirds, Mistle and Song

Thrush - and
later Redwing and Fieldfare. Sadly most of these also eat purple

berries
and
if they are frightened they flush noisily from the tree doing one of

two
things ...

a) Pebbledash the cars with something that looks (but doeesn't

smell) like
Blackcurrant Yogurt

or worse ...

c) Flatten themselves in Kamikaze fashion against my front window.

only three things matter with Rowan trees .....

location, location and location :-)

regards Lol

Warning definitely heeded! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

Sue,

You want small trees and my favourite small trees a

Acer Japonicum Aureum http://tinyurl.com/dbaoo

Acer Palmatum Atropurpureum http://tinyurl.com/bxo69

Pyrus salicifolia http://tinyurl.com/9kd8x

My favourite shrubs are :

Spirea Bulmalda 'Goldflame' http://tinyurl.com/8qyhu

Potentilla Abbotswood http://tinyurl.com/cttvd

Fuschia Genii http://tinyurl.com/exrjm
(A most disappointing photo. The flower is accurate but the foliage
should be a really pleasing yellow).

Good luck.

Regards,
Emrys Davies