Old 14-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Kameleon" wrote in message

My Nan & Grandad have an old pond that mesures about 2x1m and this
summer has seen it become very overgrown with lillies and dirt.

The pond has no filters / pumps etc and so one end has become thick
with all mannor of nasty stuff (the same end where the lilly roots
are).

What I would like to know is what would be the best way to approach
cleaning it out and removing some of the (far too many) lilly pads that
are in there - without diturbing the 4 goldfish too much!

Many thanks in advance.

===========================
My approach to such a pond would be to remove the fish to a suitable safe
place and clean the whole mess out. Remove and discard the mulm/soil
whatever it consists of. The lilies are probably all connected by roots
and shoots. Most can be given away or discarded. Start with several nice
small healthy ones spaced out, in their own pots, to give them room. Refill
the pond and either dechlorinate the water or wait 24 hours - then return
the fish. Even a small pump and filter is better than none at all. Good
luck.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b