Old 15-08-2005, 11:06 AM
sean mckinney sean mckinney is offline
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Re "The BS Pond report for 08-13 2005 (The power of Hornwort)"
sorry but I dont think hornwort is a miracle cure, I have loads of it in my pond, and I do mean loads. In case you think I am joking about loads of hornwort, yesterday I removed an armful that when floating free fills a 3'x2'x2' cistern. It is in the cistern, flow through, as I am trying to wash nymphes off it before I compost it, what I removed didnt even leave a clear patch of water.
In spring I still get blanket weed growing on top of the hornwort. The blanket weed is mostly gone now having been shaded out by an azolla bloom. When you have a surplus I think removing hornwort or any surplus floater helps greatly in removing nutrients from the pond.
Azolla, if legal for you, is another floater that is good for harvesting, to harvest hose it into a skimmer and compost it.