Old 15-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andrew Ross" contains these words:

The runner beans are growing nicely; however I've got a number of them that
have grown too large and I haven't picked them because they'll almost
certainly be 'stringy'.

Is it best to remove them and throw them on the compost heap, or if I let
them grow can I eat the actual bean?

You *CAN* eat them, but the skins are very tough. Leave some at the end
of the season and try them - or save them for next year's seed. It's
best to pick beans before the vine invests lots of energy in bringing
the beans to maturity - energy which would be better invested in fresh
youn beans.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/