Old 15-08-2005, 08:48 PM
roddy

These corms like it wet wet wet; they are not A Lilly.
In fact one of the best ways of keeping them frost free is to grow them a
couple of inches under water in a pond. So best not to let them dry out.
How hardy; will depend on the variety and what part of the UK you are in.
My Uncle in South Wales near the coast has dug all his up as they were
taking over. Mild and damp!
Suspect their hardiness is now less of a problem as the winters get milder.
I don't have any problems with the white ones in Surrey; the coloured ones
are a different matter.
I'd plant them now to keep them damp: leave the established ones in the
ground.
Roddy

"Hugh Chaloner" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I was given a clump of what I think are Arum Lillies last year - just
stuck 'em in the ground in September (I think) in a nice bit of farmyard
manure and watched them grow this summer to about 1.2m and four
beautiful white flowers in June. I've just been given a few more of the
same lilies, and I'm wondering if this is the best time of year to plant
them, or should I just leave them is a dark dry place and plant them in
March.

The established plant looks in great condition, should I dig it up or
just leave it in the ground for the winter?

Thanks,

Hugh

--
http://www.intercuts.com/blog/