Old 15-08-2005, 11:15 PM
alfred e newman

On 14 Aug 2005 12:59:34 -0700,
wrote:

Ok this is an odd question but let me explain. My friends birthday is
coming up and I want to send her flowers peace lilies to be exact and I
want the card to say, "Nothing says happy birthday like plant
reproductive organs." I am wondering if I can use the term plant
reproductive ORGANS and it still be accurate. Haha if anyone would
offer their opinion it would be greatly appreciated.
yours,
Alex

Let me see... an organ is a collection of tissues...
An organ system is a collection of organs...
Perhaps handing her the peace lillies would be better known as a
collection of reproductive organ systems... you are not talking about
single organs, but a collection of organs, ergo, organ systems, or
reproductive systems

But with the peace lillies, perhaps it would be more accurate to say
that "here's a bunch of spathes and spadixes... enjoy them while they
last"

now, depending upon the particular arum being used (sorry, my
knowledge of cultivars is very rusty) there may or may not be both
male and female florets involved... let's not get into the implication
of this matter....

at least with plants, when you sever their reproductive organ systems,
they can usually grow new ones

now let's see... isn't dumb cane an arum? oxalic acid crystals...
known to damage vocal organs if injested... if you cant get a word in
edgewise, maybe that would be more appropriate....

flowers and romance... birds and bees... how nice... but aren't peace
lillies a symbol of death?

oh well... good luck... don't listen to a bunch of old farts like
us... it's the thought that counts, not the truth behind the gift