Old 15-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Robert

"Andrew Ross" wrote in message
: Good evening,
:
: The runner beans are growing nicely; however I've got a number of them
that
: have grown too large and I haven't picked them because they'll almost
: certainly be 'stringy'.
:
: Is it best to remove them and throw them on the compost heap, or if I let
: them grow can I eat the actual bean? - in the same way as you can eat
whole
: broad beans when they're very young or leave them to grow into actual
beans?
:
: Many thanks,
:
You're not supposed to eat them without boiling them first but I know some
do eat them and have no harmful effects. You can allow them to mature on the
plant to keep the seed for next year or remove them to encourage more flower
and fresh beans