Old 15-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Kay

In article , MarkA MarkA.1tt6we@garden
banter.co.uk writes

Hallo, my name is Mark, I live in Ipswich. So far my gardening
experience is confined to growing a few salad veg in containers, but I
hope to try something a little more adventurous next year (landlord
permitting); if this comes together I'm going to have a lot of
questions about growing organic vegetabes, I hope this is the best
place to post them.

This the first one: My landlord is proposing to build a large brick
shed in the garden. Digging the foundation trench will produce 2-3
cubic meters of subsoil which will need to be disposed of. I may be
able to re-use some of it in the garden, but if not, what is the best,
and most environmentally responsible, way to get rid of it?

If you use it in the garden, take off the top soil and replace it on top
of the subsoil. Otherwise it'll take a few years to bring the subsoil up
to the same humus levels of the top soil for good growing conditions.
Alternatively, spread it about 6 inches thick and grow a wildflower
'meadow' on it ;-) - don't know whether this would work, but in high
nutrient conditions the grasses out-compete the wildflowers.
Your local council recycling centre may have a skip specifically for
subsoil
--
Kay