Old 15-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Tumbleweed

"MDJ" wrote in message

Hello,

My name is Malcolm. I am a new gardner and very inexperienced. I live
in NW UK.

I wish to establish a 15 metre row of rhododenron bushes to form a more
or less solid hedge with a height of one to one and half metres to hide
a wooden fence and to encorage wildlife into the gaden. Ideally, I
would like to get a variety of plants to provide alonger flowering
season and a range of different colours. Regrettably, i have a
decidedly alkaline soil. The top soil is about 400 cm in depth. Beneath
that is clay. Any advice would be appreciated.

As per CH, dont bother.

Also mystified why you think this is a good way to encourage wildlife,
native UK species such as hawthorn and beech would be far preferable from
that POV.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com