Old 16-08-2005, 03:11 AM
danny

In the Atlanta OS the fall show isn't really intended to be a big money
maker, sometimes it doesn't make anything. Last year we actually had a
profit because society members cooked the food for the judges' luncheon
instead of having it catered. The main fundraising (aside from dues) is an
auction in the spring, a raffle table at the meetings (plants donated by
members and sometimes the speaker), and sometimes a couple silent auction
plants. When our society does something like your President's contest it
really isn't set up to make much money. When members sell plants they have
to give 10% of sales to the society, but that usually doesn't add up to
much. We also discourage members from selling when a vendor brings plants.
-danny

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
The question is what does your society or one you know well do to
raise funds? This is not asking each member to pay dues or kick
in a donation. How do you get enough money each year to hire
speakers and pay their airfares?