Old 16-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Logic316

Pedro wrote:
Will the amount of plants determine the amount I have to use of the
fertilizers, etc? My theory on the algae thins is that I do not have many
plants and the algae is beating the plants for nutrients, etc. Does this
makes sense?

According to the brand I use (KENT), it say 1-3 doses a week, depending
on how heavily the tank is planted. It doesn't get any more specific
than that. But as far as I know, fertilizer specifically formulated for
aquarium plants shouldn't promote algae growth. Unlike ordinary garden
fertilizer (like Miracle Gro), it doesn't contain phosphates which algae
like to feed on. Some people, in an effort to save money, do like to use
Miracle Gro to fertilize their water plants. But as well as containing
algae-promoting phosphates, it also has ammonia in it which is bad for fish.

You could try and stop using fertilizer for a month or two and see if
has any effect. As long as you provide sufficient lighting, I don't
think your plants will suffer.

- Logic316

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me."
-- General George S. Patton