Old 16-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Craig Cowing

On Aug 15, 2005, at 11:53 PM, Justin Luis Diaz wrote:

I'm in about year 3 or 4 of my bonsai experience, and I'm curious
about how
many plants are lost each year. At this point I have a few trees that
I feel
are actually starting to look like something. But, I'm still losing
trees to
assorted reasons, most of which are out of my control... things like
squirrels in the night, or cats. Mostly they're seedlings or cuttings
or
trees in thier first year of training, so I'm frustrated but not
devastated.
More to the point...
snip

Justin

I lose a few each year. Different reasons. Doing too much at once used
to be the main reason. This spring I lost my favorite juniper. It
never bounced back after coming out of winter storage, and I don't know
why.

I lose one or two tropicals or succulents, during the winter, usually
because I miss watering them, or they aren't getting enough light, or
scale sets in.

Even the big boys (and I'm nowhere near that) lose trees occasionally,
so don't think it's lack of experience that causes it. These are living
things, and they eventually die. Our job is to be sure that death comes
later rather than sooner.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37