Old 16-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Craig Cowing

On Aug 16, 2005, at 9:17 AM, wrote:

In a message dated 8/16/05 12:03:37 AM, Justin writes:
most of which are out of my control... things like squirrels in the
night,
or cats.

snip If it is yours, the cat belongs indoors & the bonsai outdoors.
End of problem. If it is your neighbor's cat, the first step is a nice
talk with
your neighbor explaining that cats are healthier, safer, & live longer
if
they are kept indoors. If that doesn't work, call your animal control
officer.

Our outdoor cat likes to sleep on the soil surface of several of my
very large trees which are in wooden boxes. She doesn't use the boxes
for litter boxes, just likes to sleep under the trees. It took me
awhile to figure out that she wasn't pooping in the soil, and once I
realized this it didn't bother me that she slept there.
snip

For me, impatience - doing too much too soon, not letting a newly
styled tree
rest long enough before repotting.

Yep yep
Wrestling a new tree into the "right" size
pot, instead of overpotting it the first time & going easy on the
roots.

Yep yep yep.
Putting trees out too soon in the spring.
Iris

That I learned about the hard way in Maine, by trying to wrestle trees
out that were half-frozen in the mulch, and breaking off branches.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: