Old 16-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Robert Bedard

These are exactly the issues that we are trying to deal with. It might
be that we find no viable solution; in that case, I do not intend to
resurrect it.

I find it amazing that people rush to judgement without even bothering
to ask the people involved what their intent is.

LIFE is full of "scammers, perpetual whiners, and people who are just
unrealistic", it is not just rating systems.

Wouldn't it be better to try and help solve the problems than "whine"
about them?

I personally believe there is value to a system like OGRES, even given
that there are some issues with people's ability to tell fact from
fiction. Factor that into the reviews, just like you do in the rest of
your life.

rob't

tennis maynard wrote:
On 15 Aug 2005 18:45:48 -0700, "L_B_F"
wrote:

So, pray tell, what makes it a bad idea? Do you have any well thought
reasons or are you just slamming? Do you read resturant reviews?
Movie reviews? Those are OK, but not this?

lbf

Anonymity. Lack of reciprocity, reliability.
Definitions (what constitutes a 'bad' plant? What's
blooming size? What about the person who complains
about the plant, advertised as a 5" seedling, that
"it will take years to bloom, because it's 36" tall at
maturity", when the plant received (cost $5) was
actually LARGER than advertised, at 6"??? Yet all you
see is the complaint about the plant being 'too small
and years from blooming'[actual case history]?????
We've had all this before, my reasons are the same as
last time.

I dealt with vendors panned on OGRES who were great,
and unfortunately with some wildly praised who were
absolutely, frighteningly horrible.

... snip ...
OGRES or anything like it is just an invitation to
scammers, perpetual whiners, and people who are just
unrealistic.

It's an invitation to abuse and extortion. Bad idea
all around.