Old 16-08-2005, 02:35 PM
kathy

You wrote But would this make my water so green overnight????

Yes. Algae blooms happen overnight.
You did add *some* nutrients to the pond,
but compared to the overall nutrient load, it
was not much at all.

Do you have fish in the pond?
If you don't and you want a water feature
only, take out the fish, put in fake plants
and use bleach to kill the algae.

Algae will grow in any water, like Derek said.
Put out a bucket of water, take a handful of
dust and blow it lightly across the top and
you'll have green water in a couple of days.

Algae grows in artic lakes and in the hollow
folicles of polar bears. It is tough stuff and needs
to be or we wouldn't be here. That doesn't mean
that we have to put up with green ponds! But
if you have fish you can completely get rid of it
and you would not want to. Mother Nature knows
what is best for her family as long as we don't
mess it up too bad (like having too many fish in
our ponds and not cleaning out debris).

k :-)