Old 16-08-2005, 04:16 PM
dalecochoy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Persiano"
Subject: [IBC] Bonsai Mortality

Trees die from a number of reasons:

1. Natural events (storms have taken more than one of my trees).
2. Insects and Common Disease (most of which can be dealt with through

preventative maintenance, insecticides and fungicides).
3. Mismanagement (this is where insufficient soil, overwatering,

inadequate fertilizing, and poor bonsai technique destroy trees).
Michael Persiano

Mike,
Your comment made me chuckle a bit from one of my own "ideas" I had many
years ago. In the end of 70's and early 80's I kept a list of trees I'd
killed and costs, I mentioned this to my bonsai buddy ( future business
partner) at the time and he said "Man, you don't want to be doing that".
After a couple pages I quit!!
Glad I did. When I think of.....oh well!...you know! :)

We both used to throw dead tree carcasses into the field/woods next to our
respective homes. I quit that too, wadeing through them on walks became
upsetting :)

hey....that's what trash containers were meant for!

One funny thing, my buddy told me about his neighbor telling him about
finding "discarded" plants up in the field near his house so he picked up ,
brought home, and planted a bunch in his landscaping....
My friend still mentions that from time to time.
I wonder if the brown, crinkly things are still in that guys landscape ? :)

I always tell people that for the first five years you kill lots of plants
because you don't know what you are doing.
Then, you have a couple good years...
....then the NEXT five years you kill plants because you get cocky and try
all kinds of new techniques! :)
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++