Old 05-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default When to sow Cowslip seeds?

The message
from "MC Emily" contains these words:

To pull all the points together here, if I sow the seeds in compost in a
tray, cover it with glass and put it somewhere where it will get very low
temperatures but be protected from being eaten, am I on the right track?
How low does the temperature have to get? I have a shed with a south facing
window it could go in but I have to have a frost beater on at night because
my washing machine and dryer are in there (we're in the middle of renovating
our house). Would that be OK for the seeds or would it be too warm?

Outside would be better. Mice could get into the shed, so you haven't
gained anything over outside - and you have lost the beneficial action
of the frost.

And
what about watering? Do I lightly water to start with and the moisture will
be retained because of the glass?

Yes, exactly so. Check in spring when the temperatures rise, but they'll
be fine through the winter.

Blimey, I'm sounding veeeery amateurish
here, aren't I?

Not at all. Don't worry!