Old 16-08-2005, 05:26 PM
tennis maynard

Robert Bedard wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to try and help solve the problems than "whine" about them?

and:

You are essentially correct. If you do the research into what is and is
not legal to post, you find that there is (as usual) a great disparity
in what you can legally do, and what you must defend your right to do.
So, while it is legal to share opinions about a business it's products
and it's service, it is also legal for that business to aim lawyers at
you and bury you, your web host, your visitor's ISP and your visitor
with subpoenas, in the name of "discovery."

What I meant (for the record) about rushing to judgment, was deciding
what people were up to, without any communication. You (an Tennis) may
have your well-founded opinions based on other experience, but I do not
appreciate being summarily swept under rug by somebody that has spent
zero effort to verify that a genuine effort to mitigate the previous
problems is in fact underway, and more to the original point, that OGRES
may not be resurrected at all. The people involved are well aware of the
previous issues. If they cannot be mitigated, then as far as I am
concerned, I will not be part of it. But I believe it is worth a try.

I'm curious, what do you actually know about me, or how long I have been
around this subject? ;-) And why is that there is this fatalistic
perception? I am convinced that ideally, something like OGRES has value;
I am equally convinced that there are some serious issues with these
types of systems that are well-rooted in the human condition, and that
the quality and veracity of the information in such a system often does
not justify the effort required to maintain it. OGRES was no exception.
This is about discussion, this is not about blindly reconstructing OGRES
as it had been previously. That is why the "rush to judgment statement".

rob't

First of all, it's not about you. No-one at all has
said anything negative about you. It's about the idea.
We don't like it. Period. Don't care who's doing it
or how it's done. NOW I'm going to say something bad
about you in response to your saying something bad
about me. Disagreeing and objecting is not 'whining'or
'rushing to judgment'.

The fact you take that tack and take ideological,
serious opposition so personally paints you as an
'absolutist' personality and makes you a bad candidate
for such an undertaking. Thanks for bringing that into
perspective.