Old 17-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Layne

This reminds me of the fools who controlled the sugar and pineapple
plantations in Hawaii. Rats where destroying the crops so some dumbass
decided it would be a good idea to introduce the Indian mongoose to
control the rat population...only thing was rats are primarily
nocturnal and the mongoose aren't! Instead of controlling the rat
population the mongoose became another pest and are all but decimating
the local endemic bird population by eating their eggs. I think of all
the states Hawaii has the longest endangered and extinct species list.

Nature has it's checks and balances when we start to meddle in it we
only, for lack of a better word, f*ck it up. "Wildlife mangament" is a
total oxymoron.

Layne

On 15 Aug 2005 10:48:54 -0700, "raycruzer"
wrote:

The threat of invading horseweed in farms in California and several
other states is a good lesson on how weeds can learn to adapt to
Roundup and any other environmental change.

These weeds were not genetically modified, but the crops they invaded
were designed by Monsanto to withstand their own product Roundup
(Roundup-Ready crops).

Now maybe Monsanto will use their scientific wizardry to come up with a
new solution, maybe a new type of Venus Fly-Trap that attacks specific
weeds, like horseweed, as well as bugs and possibly terrorists, as
well?

________
Ergonica: Talk about weeds - www.ergonica.com