Old 17-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Sue

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:16:09 -0400, wrote:

My friend has been very successful every year wih his vegetables. He
really knows a lot about gardening. He used to work on a tomato farm.
He said they never used cages. The plants fell over but still yield
many tomatoes. He also said they were not planted on top of each
other.

There are *lots* of commercial tomatoes grown in my area (not market
tomatoes) and cages aren't used. However, these seem to be a very low
growing tomato. The plants don't get very tall at all before harvest.
Hmmm. Probably not more than 18" to 2'.

He told me that when he plants his tomatoes, he buries the plant in
the ground with only one set of leaves above ground. He says that
gives it a great root system and produces a great yield. He said it
takes a drop longer for the first fruit but when if comes it comes
strong.

Ever hear of that?

The directions for the cheapy Wal*Mart tomatoes I plant say to bury
them quite deep.
I use 4' cages but the tomatoes have far outgrown them. Those danged
plants are all over the place.
Sue