Old 16-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lynda Thornton wrote:

What can be done to even out the apple harvest? Do I need to get a tree
surgeon or apple expert for advice or should we just get it pruned and
then thin the apples severely next year? I am a bit nervous as I
haven't kept a large fruit tree before, and I know very little about
pruning, especially apple trees which I think isn't that
straightforward, but something needs to be done to get the tree back on
to an even keel.

That is the standard recommendation. Don't worry - the most common
problem with inappropriate pruning is that you reduce the crop!

One alternative possibility is that there was very poor pollination
because of the dire spring. Don't assume that it is the tree based
on just two years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.