Old 16-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Cavaliers

Hi Mike
Thanks
No I haven't been mulching and nothing else is growing around the area since
the deer munch everything within chomping distance. Except peonies.
Maybe really not enough sun.
Thanks
Diana
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Cavaliers wrote:
Hi Fellow Gardeners,
Have a couple of peonies one is ten years old and the other five
years old. The older one flowered after a couple of years as
expected, but for the last two years no flowers at all. The young
one still hasn't flowered. I realise peonies may not flower for up
to two years, but don't know why they stopped, or in the case of

the
younger why it didn't flower at all.

The are in a sunny - ish location and it gets (probably) cold

enough
in the winter. Not much frost though. Every spring lots of nice
good shoots. I read that they don't need dividing for ten to

fifteen
years so don't think this is the problem
What to do?. Any ideas? Not enough sun??? Could it be simply not
enough water?
Thanks for suggestions.
Diana

I wonder if you've been adding mulch over the years, and so raising
the soil-level over the crown of the plant. Peonies are fussy about
planting depth: any more than an inch will stop them flowering. So,
by all means mulch, as they like a good soil with plenty of organic
matter, and shouldn't be allowed to dry out; but keep the centre
shallow. You say "sunny-ish": that's probably all right, but consider
if other plants have got bigger over the time and are giving more
shade than they did to start with.

--
Mike.