Old 17-08-2005, 08:19 AM
diamond_skies diamond_skies is offline
Registered User

Location: Northern Ireland
Question Oxalis versicolour

I ordered some oxalis versicolour bulbs from a mail order catalogue. From what I remember of the description, it said that it was a slightly tender plant. When I got the bulbs, a leaflet was included to say that they should really be grown in an alpine house, which I don't have. I thought I could overwinter them in my shed.

Does anyone here in the UK have any experience with growing this plant? I live near Belfast and while we don't have severe frosts, we do get a lot of ground frosts during the winter. I have the bulbs planted in compost in a terra cotta pot and they are growing but not very well. Do they need well drained soil like an alpine? Perhaps more water?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jane