Old 17-08-2005, 03:54 AM
WaltA

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:20:16 +0100, Janet & I wrote:
I gave up on
growing most potatoes many years ago because of blight and now only
grow a few first earlies, which are consumed before the blight strikes
So it sounds like I should give them a try next year.
Thanks.

Yes, I was close to giving up too which was why I wanted to sing their
praises.

Yes indeed, well done.
I even gave up reading the cats, without mentioning any names but they
all say that their new cultivar is absolutly the bees knees and better
than sliced bread, but after (insert number) years one gets immune! So
consequently these new potato varieties never even crossed my ken
threshold !

I looked at the website pictures and would say mine look like the second
picture. To have really bushy foliage still fresh and green in
mid-August is astonishing for me

indeed, me also !

My favs. were Salad Red, Salad Blue and Congo Black ( or was it Black
Congo ?) but 20/25y ago there were no virus free strains and what with
the blight as well we were down to just a few ounces per plant, which
was somewhat silly!

But it does put the old Irish situation into perspective !
I'd be long dead if I had had to rely on my garden !!