Old 17-08-2005, 05:23 AM
WaltA

Nick Maclaren wrote:
mature
beans,

snip,
and they
require extensive cooking to make them palatable.

I think that you have never tasted a fresh mature bean seed straight
off the plant in late summer/early autumn !
I think you are still in that time warp when you discovered the
hessian sack of dried beans in the back of the covered waggon that
your granpappy had just driven across the high plains on his way to
the gold fields of California

The one normal circumstance that can cause the problem is beans
cooked in a slow cooker on low, where the temperature may stay
at 70-80 Celcius for long enough to cook the bean - which is a
good many hours. Hence the need to boil them first, or use the
cooker on high.

Yep, I'd go with that,, if we were talking about long-dried, to within
an inch of their lives, pulses.
but I dont think that the OP had that kind in mind ?

That is certainly true of broad

that may be so, but it aint in context

and soy beans.

dunno, not tried them, dont think they do too well in our climate,
Some folk promote new cultivars that pander to modern desires, but I
still await actual results.