Old 06-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Victoria Clare

Default When to sow Cowslip seeds?

bigboard wrote in
:

Victoria Clare wrote:
I also find British native wildflowers very fiddly from (bought)
seed, though I've had a lot more luck with stuff that I've just
picked straight out of the hedge and bunged into some compost.

But don't forget that this is illegal without the permission of the
landowner. And anyway, there's few enough wildflowers in the wild, why
remove them?

My garden is surrounded by traditional cornish hedges, and being very
sloping, is also crossed by low stone wall/hedges. If I find something
nice when I am trimming them, I sometimes propagate it, and I've also
collected seed from friends' gardens.

I don't think that collecting some seed from free-fruiting plants in other
hedges would do any real harm, given the vast wastage rate of wild
distributed flower seeds, but I haven't actually done that myself (yet).

Victoria Clare