Old 17-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| Yes, I have. Runner, French and broad. In all cases, they are
| hard
|
| Rubbish !
| and may I remind the house Mr.Speaker of the post I made earlier about
| soaked and sprouted beans consumed in vast quantity by the
| long-haired-flower-behind-ear-bead-wearing brigade once-upon-a-time
| /mace-waving

Mostly mung beans - not now classified as even in genus Phaseolus.
I have never heard of runner beans being eaten that way, but did
try doing it with (white) French ones once. The actual beans
remained unpalatable even after sprouting.

| (though not like dried ones) and taste strongly 'starchy',
|
| Umm, perhaps yes I suppose you could describe them slightly thus, but
| I would not have !

Well, if they taste only slightly starchy, they are not mature.
The physiology of Phaseolus beans is that they develop starch as
they mature.

| While they need less cooking to eliminate
| those characteristics than dried ones do, it is still 10-15 minutes
|
| exactly, You're fluffing now )

May I quote the paragraph from which you selectively snipped bits?

The reason that it is rare is that the toxin occurs in mature
beans, and much less or not at all in immature ones, and they
require extensive cooking to make them palatable. A red kidney
bean boiled for a mere 10 minutes is edible but not eatable!

A swollen but immature French bean is a pale shadow of its final
colour - black ones are not black and red ones are not red.

| if you remember, I did say 10min ?? The ?? was meant to indicate
| "about" "am I right" "to taste"

I hope that your souffles are as fluffy as your postings!

| Are you sure that you are not confusing fully swollen beans with
| mature ones?
|
| Nope, I made no distinction, neither did Andrew or Robert, I believe,
| I was just casting thoughts to the wind (so to speak, pun and beans
| not intended ! honest) for them to snatch and run with to google if
| they so desired.

Well, if you are going to start assigning new meanings to English
words, there isn't much hope for you! To quote you:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
mature
beans,

snip,
and they
require extensive cooking to make them palatable.

I think that you have never tasted a fresh mature bean seed straight
off the plant in late summer/early autumn !

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.