Old 17-08-2005, 04:53 PM

I'm on Long Island and I'm just getting the early tomatoes now because
I planted around June 8th. Mine are also too close together and my
garden is 25 ft by 5 ft., with not enough direct sun because it's on
the side of the house.

The plants are growing very high, now over 8 ft. but I'm not sure if
I'm going to get the yield, which might be a blessing. I planted
about 25 tomato plants. The plum tomatoes and peppers, in this one
bad row are doing lousy, but the plants behind that row are doing Ok.

I've cut off lots of yellowed branches. The plants got so big that
they are growing into each other. But the biggest mistake is that I
didn't plant them deep enough. On some of the tomato plants you can
see what looks like little green bubbles towards the bottom.
Something tells me that should have been underground.

alan

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:10:42 GMT, "Lynn"
wrote:

It is not that much of an angle. once I am ready to plant it in the garden
it is only about 45 degrees. and yes I support the plants right of the bat.
but it grows straight up like other plants. Last year our plants were about
5 feet tall with thick stalks. my plants were planted very close together as
well ( too close) and I had way more than what I could eat, make chow, make
salsa , freeze (still have some of last years in the freezer) and give to
neighbors.
This year I don't know yet. our summer was about a month off this year due
to cold and wet weather ( Nova Scotia). I never actually counted tomatoes
per plant but I will this year

I found the instructions for this in a book library. it was from an older
book I am going back today so I will look up the book for you. It was very
interesting esp for a small garden like mine. My garden is raised beds about
12 feet long 3 feet wide.

this might explain a little on how I did it. notice how after the plant gets
going that they snip of the first leaves and plant to it?
https://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/grow-tomato.htm