Old 17-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave Poole wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

On this matter, my B. arborea is thoroughly non-aboreal. It is
far shrubbier and shorter than any of the others I have grown.
Is this normal?

I think the specific name is a bit misleading Nick - especially since
Brugmansia sanguinea can grow at least twice the size. It is
technically a medium to large shrub and I can't quite work out why the
discoverers named it arborea - unless it was discovered and named
before any of the larger species.

The normal size range for arborea is anything from 6 to 15 feet and in
a large container pot it can be anything from 6 to 8 feet (max). It
is one of the hardier species and I know of a nice plant in a local
hotel garden that has been there for at least 15 years. It gets cut
back to around 3 feet each winter and grows to around 7 feet by the
end of summer. The flowers are not as large as those of the aurea
group, but they are produced very freely.

Thanks. Mine isn't in a huge pot, but doesn't seem interested in
growing up, and one (a cutting) is keen on suckering. The original
is only 2', but my B. suavolens and B. sanguinea got to 4' in much
less time. They were MUCH more single-stemmed and upright.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.