Old 18-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Carn Carn is offline
Registered User

Robert,
I have also searched for sloe in North American nurseries. First of all -- I think it is dificult to grow from seed. I have tried this, with some seed I brought to Alaska from fruit of a Prunus Spinoza that grows in the Botanical Gardens in Montreal, Canada. I had no success.
A few nurseries list Sloe as Prunus americanus and sell starter cuttings. I am about to try this. P. americanus is very similar to P. spinoza, and is, I believe, the tree that American gin makers use to flavor sloe gin.
Please let me know if you have any success finding P. spinoza in America -- and I will keep you posted on my searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kieffer
I think that this is the first time that I have actually written something
to the list, so hello, from the land of lurkers...

I was wondering about a source of Prunus Spinosa (Blackthorn, Sloe) seeds
or seedlings or nursery plants in the United States, in particular in the
Charlottesville, VA area.

I have not been able to find a source online, and nurseries that I have
contacted don't seem to have a source either.

Robert Kieffer.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++