Old 18-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Salty Thumb

"SVTKate" wrote in
ink.net:

Not meaning to sound like a smart aleck, but if you have to replace
the batteries so often and they are so expensive, why not just buy a
gas mower? Seems to me that the maintenance costs are much lower.

Electric mowers are quieter and produce less emissions than a gas mower.
Electric power plants produce emissions too, but the emissions are
centralized and can be managed more efficiently, athough in practice, I
think many power plants just do the minimum required by law. I also
don't think electric mowers require oil changes, oil filters, air
filters, spark plugs, gas removal/stabilization procedures (when storing
the mower) or the accompanying labor involved.

I have an 11 year old cheapo MTD gas mower that has only had one
spark plug and two air filters in all that time that was well used for
the first ten years.
Nowadays it sits allot becaue it is only used for touchups but
still...

Did you not change the oil? What do you use for non-touchup work?

Waste batteries are bad for the environment too... so I am not
thinking it's ecology. Why drag a cord around?

Yes waste batteries in a landfill are bad, which is why you should
recycle them. They are heavy and the energy density of a lead-acid
battery doesn't compare well with gasoline and yes power cords are a
nuisance. If it were all good, you wouldn't need to choose.