Old 18-08-2005, 03:11 AM
SVTKate

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
news:ciRMe.15805$%K4.10205@trnddc09...
: "SVTKate" wrote in
: ink.net:
:
: Not meaning to sound like a smart aleck, but if you have to replace
: the batteries so often and they are so expensive, why not just buy a
: gas mower? Seems to me that the maintenance costs are much lower.
:
: Electric mowers are quieter and produce less emissions than a gas mower.
: Electric power plants produce emissions too, but the emissions are
: centralized and can be managed more efficiently, athough in practice, I
: think many power plants just do the minimum required by law. I also
: don't think electric mowers require oil changes, oil filters, air
: filters, spark plugs, gas removal/stabilization procedures (when storing
: the mower) or the accompanying labor involved.
:
: I have an 11 year old cheapo MTD gas mower that has only had one
: spark plug and two air filters in all that time that was well used for
: the first ten years.
: Nowadays it sits allot becaue it is only used for touchups but
: still...
:
: Did you not change the oil?

Actually maybe a few times... the poor thing has been sadly neglected but
keeps on going like a champ.

:What do you use for non-touchup work?
The MTD was the primary mower when we lived out west, for 9+ years.
These days I mow about 6 acres, three with my Husquvarna 22/48 lawn tractor
and three with a bush hog attached to the tractor. The MTD is only used down
by the pond in places where either of the other two might be unsafe to
operate. I wish I had a bigger, zero turn mower. Maybe when the Husky wears
out. Oh and I DO maintian the Husky. I baby it like I do my car.

How about you, what do you use?

:
: Waste batteries are bad for the environment too... so I am not
: thinking it's ecology. Why drag a cord around?
:
: Yes waste batteries in a landfill are bad, which is why you should
: recycle them.

I even recycle my used AA batteries I'm a good girl.

They are heavy and the energy density of a lead-acid
: battery doesn't compare well with gasoline and yes power cords are a
: nuisance. If it were all good, you wouldn't need to choose.

Gotcha. I appreciate you treating my query as it was intended, a real desire
for another view.

: