Old 18-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "tab" contains these words:

Mine is beside a wooden fence and neighbours shed.Dont think he would be
very happy if by mistake I set fire to it :-) I have drilled holes and put
paraffin just now until I get some acid.

I wouldn't think that paraffin would have any effect. You might be able
to persuade a chemist to sell you a small bottle of sulphuric acid - if
you can find a proper chemist.

But be warned! Sulphuric acid is dangerous, and when it gets onto skin,
clothing, etc, it just keeps eating away. Mostly, it just extracts the
elements of water to dilute itself, but as that evaporates it continues
to remove it. You can reduce some organic matter to almost pure carbon
like that.

If you do get some, have some washing soda solution or bicarbonate of
soda handy to neutralise any splashes. But whatever you do, don't
introduce it to the main body of the acid...

Also, if you decide to dilute it to get rid of it, always add the acid
to water and not water to the acid. Pouring concentrated sulphuric acid
into water generates large amounts of local heat, with the result that
it boils, and spits hot acid at you.

That's why i suggested battery acid. Get a little (you don't need much)
form a tyre shop.

Regarding sulphuric acid as mentioned earlier,I seem to remember from my
youth and doing casual work on farms that potato crop was spread with
a weak
solution of this to kill off the shaws( maybe a Scottish word) before
harvesting the crop

I understood it to be a very strong solution. The idea is to kill the
shaws/haulm (and any wildlife amongst it - most horribly) and leave the
potatoes in the ground for the skins to harden, making them keep better
in storage.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/