Old 18-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:53:03 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

"ntantiques" wrote in message

Tasteless tomatoes

The first fruit from a plant isn't the best. Also, ease back on the
watering while the fruit is maturing and ripening as that will concentrate
the taste.

I have whined here before that we've had a monsoon season rather than
a summer, and I can attest to the fact that the excess watering has
made a lot of the larger tomatoes tasteless. That could be in part
because I'm bringing them inside and letting them finish ripening on
the counter, but too many of them split if I don't. The smaller
tomatoes split less and have better taste. Right now I have a Mortgage
Lifter,a Box Car Willie, some volunteer yellow current tomatoes, and a
Peron Sprayless still producing tomatoes, and one Druzba that is
growing, but not producing well in the heat. The yellow current
tomatoes and the smaller Peron Sprayless have the most flavor right
now.

Although, I did bring in a *huge* Mortgage Lifter for lunch today, and
I'm hoping it has good flavor. We had almost 6 days with no rain, so I
was able to leave it on the vine.

Penelope