Old 18-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Ann Heanes

Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone out there grows the Brug.Sunset? I find
this the earliest of my plants & the most wonderful type. I want to get hold
of double one but so far no luck.
Regards GrannieAnnie
"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Tom Atkinson wrote:

Last year I sowed seeds of brugsmania.
I overwintered one and planted it in a large pot in springtime. It is now

9
ft tall having branched at 3 ft. There are no flowers showing. What

should I
do.

Tom, you need to be just a bit patient with seed-raised Brugmansias.
Under glass, it is just possible to get a few late flowers in the
first year from a very early (January) sowing. This assumes that the
parent plant is not a hybrid in which case, the vagaries of the
genetic make-up could lead to early, very late or even (rarely)
non-flowering, on short-medium, average or giant sized plants. My
guess is that provided your 'seedling' is in a warm sunny spot outside
and you help it along with weekly applications of tomato fertiliser (
not general which is a bit too high in nitrogen), you will see a few
flowers in September.

Once it has reached flowering age, it will produce flowers earlier in
subsequent years. Most Brugs. are raised from cuttings taken from
well-established, flowering plants and 3" high slips rooted in early
autumn, will be 6 - 8 feet high and in full flower by the following
July. Folks sometimes get these mixed up with Daturas, which almost
always flower in their first year from seed (always in the case of the
annual types). As a result, they are disappointed to find that seed
raised Brugs. may take a couple of years to begin flowering. After
that, its a case of stand back and admire the spectacular show.
HTH.
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.