Old 18-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:42:25 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

As my potatoes have always fallen prey to blight by early July, this
year I tried the new potato varieties Sarpo Mira and Sarpo Axona which
were developed for blight resistance. I've been enormously impressed.
The plants have been large and vigorous and no signs of blight yet. For
the first time ever, I'm digging up large tubers some weighing about 12
ozs. Hardly any slug damage either.

I wondered whether anyone else had tried these varieties and how they
had had turned out.

I have not tried blight-resistant potoato varieties, and though I have
had blight on tomatoes for the last 5 years (last year not so
seriously) I have never had blight on my potatoes. There will be none
on them this year as the tops have died down almost completely.
I tried to dig some this morning but the ground is too hard to get the
fork in!
The tomato blight has never hit till August, and I think it is usually
carried in with rain, which is forecast for us tonight! I'm only just
picking (outdoor) tomatoes, so I have fingers crossed!

Pam in Bristol