Old 18-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

The tree surgeon would have done so, had he not been warned by me not
to disturb the neighbour's garden: you see, the leylandii are on the
boundary, and while we have lovely neighbours, we weren't about to turn
into the neighbours from hell by destroying their beautifully planted
border on the immediate other side of the boundary.

I wasn't suggesting the tree surgeon(s) weren't worth their salt, just
that they ought to have suggested it. Since they did, fill marks to
them.

Surely, if cutting
the trees down kills them, the roots are no longer pumping nutrients.
They might even provide some back into the soil by rotting quietly?

Well, some, but not a lot. Tou may acquire some interesting (and
delicious) mushrooms, though.

However, what's done is done. Compost or well-rotted manure can be
spread as a mulch and the worms will soon take it down into the topsoil.

That's the intention.

Excellent. If you can bear the sight of it, you can pile cardboard,
grass mowings, manure, kitchen scraps (but not meat, it attracts the
rats), straw, paper etc to knee-height, water it well (with added urine)
then cover it with black plastic, peg the plastic down and leave it
until spring.

In the meantime, your friends the worms will get to work, and you'll
find a fine tilth of well-structured soil when you uncover it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/