Old 06-12-2002, 09:55 PM
sacha

Default Giant Hogweed

in article , Kay Easton at
wrote on 6/12/02 5:33 pm:

In article , MC Emily
writes
"Michael Berridge" wrote

It is a notifiable weed and it is illegal to allow it to set seed.

As is Ragwort but no one seems to know that around here - especially the
Council!!

It's an 'injurious weed' under the 1959 Weeds Act and landowners have a
duty to stop it spreading, but does that mean it is 'notifiable'? - ie,
do you have a legal duty to tell someone about it if you have it?

I may be wrong but I was certainly under the impression that it was
notifiable. But I was thinking of the roadsides and hedges on e.g. the A38.
They're controlled by the Council as to mowing, tree trimming etc. but there
are still quite large patchees of ragwort here and there. OTOH, I'd hate to
see too many sprays used, if any, because we have the most fabulous displays
of primroses here in springtime!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk